and Calcoed both get a mention in the Domesday Book
of 1086 but the parish of Brynford came into being in
1853, firstly carved out of 2 older parishes of Holywell
and Ysgeifiog. St. Michael's Parish Church was formerly
dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 1st July 1853
and cost £2030 which included The Parsonage House (opposite
church) and The Church School (formerly The Church Hall).
It is surrounded
by heather clad common land and several tumuli,
cairns and earth circles are in evidence. Much of the
area is farmed and there is a large expanse of common
H.M. Stanley, who went to Africa
to find Dr. Livingstone, was a student teacher in the
old village school!